Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Resolution


As the new year starts and many people make resolutions to get in better shape, I wonder if I should resolve to not work out.   You see, I am addicted to exercise.   I am in very good shape and a highly capable athlete, though my station in life nor job requires me to be.   Besides the fact that I love being such a physically capable person, the biggest (and most consistent) high I get out of life is from my workouts.  I have never used drugs of any sort to get high, so I cannot adequately speak to that, but the natural high I get from working out has served me so well that I see no reason to ever use drugs.  Plus, I get other benefits from my workouts besides the high.

Because of my staunch regime of workouts, I considered giving it up.    The regime has been OCD in nature, as I have worked out nearly every day of my life since I was about 12 years old.   When I say every day, I mean every day, save the days I was hospitalized or recovering from surgery.   This was through college and grad school and working full-time.   These are good workouts, lasting at least an hour and sometimes lasting nearly two or three.   How has my body not worn out?  Because I vary the workouts.   Cardio/running at least 3 times a week, between 5-15 miles a time.  Weight training at least twice a week, varying the weights I use and switching between developing muscular strength and endurance.  And finally sprinkling in low impact workouts like hiking/walking and yoga.  It has become such a part of my life that I think it would be harder to give it up, than for a person who hates exercise to start working out.  I think it qualifies as an addiction.

Feeding this is the literature and evidence that exercise improves your health and makes you look better.  While those are benefits I enjoy, the thing I love most is how I feel great during and afterwards.   I feel so confident and capable.  I am less irritable and it has been shown that exercise acts as an acute buffer against stress during the day (which is one reason that I favor morning workouts).       The social aspect is and can be nice for many people, but I have always been a lone wolf when it comes to workouts, even when I was playing team sports (ice hockey and cheerleading).  

Maybe I shouldn’t give up exercise entirely, but just tone it down.   Or perhaps be more forgiving if I miss a workout.   The problem is, missing it is not only just not doing the workout.   It is like walking by an old friend that you want to give a hug to,  or passing up an interview for your dream job.  It is MISSING it.    It seems I have a good deal of energy and passion that might be redirected.   I am applying for a program in grad school.   If I get in, maybe my faculties would be better served to excel in that area.   I could utilize the discipline from my workouts to succeed in my new field.   I will have to think about that on my run tomorrow.   Runs are so helpful because they help me clear my mind and organize my thoughts.

On second thought, I will continue to work out.   When part or all of my body gives out, that will be time to stop J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment