Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Reality TV

Is anyone else sickened by the turn that "reality TV" has taken?   I used to watch reality TV in the early stages, when it felt more informative, intimate and like a documentary.  Now for the most part it has turned into a horrible boil on the butt of humanity.    For example cooking shows like Iron Chef would showcase cooking talent.  Now shows like Rocco's Dinner Pary showcase a rude, egomaniacal restaurantuer who just wants to flaunt famous friends and belittle people.  In addition, the shows either encourage participants to behave rudely, or just edit to showcase bad behavior.  Yuck.

What worse is now people strive to become these "stars".   The super wealthy like the Kardashians exploit the viewing public for their monetary gain.   I don't know what skills or talents this family might have, but they seem to fall into the realm of being famous for being famous, ala a Paris Hilton.  On top of it you have everyday people doing rude, mean, societally invaluable things to become a "star" on TV.   And why not?  When the people on the Jersey Shore show make more money in one year than some college-educated people, then kids see that as a "profession" particularly because it involves little to no intelligence, education or heaven forbid "work". 

 Personally I would be bored senseless to be doing any of it, but I am an introspective person who enjoys learning and good intellectual discussion.   I wouldn't mind having the money these people have, but I certainly don't want to be famous.    It makes me wonder are they in for the money or the fame?  I would like to live comfortably and  know my retirement is secure,  but I would hate having papparazzi following me or the world judging my decisions.   Do they need the validation, or do they really think they are deserving or entitled to the attention/money?

I guess with the information superhighway and ease and speed of access to information, that is why we have the reality TV.  It is not replacing the useful information or intelligent discussion, but it is providing a common thread of information into the genre of pop culture that most people can easily read and digest.  It is sort of like everyone is in high school again, and rather than discussing the SATs or AP exams or athletics or history or math, people talk about who is dating who, who bought a new pair of jeans or has a new car or got caught cheating.

With all this information and ease of access, there is something for everyone.  Good thing I can choose to tune into what I want or tune out what I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment